Art Quote

Friday, August 29, 2008

Teen Friday



Since starting Teen Tuesday, I have found myself thinking about it a lot. I wouldn't call it quite an obsession, but it's definitely something I think about on a daily basis.

Mostly, though, I find myself wanting to post. All the time. For instance, right now it's Friday and I am drafting my next Teen Tuesday post in my head. I can see it now, a short description of what I've been reading (which is hardly exciting, especially this week) and then a huge list of all the books I have left to read, along with the word: HELP!

Because with school starting, and cheerleading, and all sorts of other stuff going on, I have so much to read. And very little time to read it. It's been like this a lot, especially since I went on a huge book shopping spree back in July.

So many books, so little time. That's something I know every reviewer, or even every reader, has said at least once. And then there are also days where I look at my stack of books and just wish for something to pull at me and make me want to read it.

That has happened a couple times. The book Exit Here by Jason Myers, for instance, has been calling at me ever since I first picked it up. For some reason, just the book cover (so simple) and the back of the book, and even just the size and feel of the book, make me want to just devour it.

And then Ivy by Julie Hearn has such an amazing cover, and that is honestly enough to make me want to read it. I don't even think I know anything else about it, besides that the cover is beautiful and the pages smell pretty.

Of course, there's also the one that should be calling me that isn't: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I have heard nothing but good things about this book, and I've had it on my shelf since I bought it in January (eight months, people!) and I still have yet to read it. I've wanted to, yes, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

There are a couple reasons why, though. Part of it is because with books I own, I take my time reading them. There's no deadline, and with Thirteen Reasons Why it wasn't a book given to me to review, so I feel no pressure (other than that of the self-inflicted sort) to finish it soon.

I also hear that it's something that I could just fly through, and finish it in a night. Those types of books are some of my favorite kinds, but the problem is, I don't have a whole lot of time to read. My days are chopped up, and I read a little here, a little there. With a book like Thirteen Reasons Why, I have a feeling that I will be sucked in and forced to read it, and forget about everything else. I want to wait for a day where it just feels right, where I have nothing better to do than to sit on my bed with the radio playing 95.5 (or possibly my new Theory of a Deadman CD) and just absorb myself in it.

Now the above mentioned books are only a small part of the pile of books I have cluttering this desk. *sigh* Ah, the pressures of reading. But it's such a rewarding hobby.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Ahh, yes, Thirteen Reasons Why, I read that in the Spring I think. I lvoed, it but it didn't make me want to read it in one night, honestly I had to take a few breaks from that book. It's seriously sad. But I hope your get to it soon.

Anonymous said...

Chelsie, I understand how you feel. Lately (and I know we're not the only ones in the blogosphere) have been saying that not much reading is getting done... a little here and a little there. I want to read so bad but don't find time. School started and I can't read for 7 hours and then I have homework and etc etc. You'll find a day, you'll get inspiration and you will read.

:)

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.