Art Quote

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back to School Countdown, #6


Back to School Countdown, Book(s) #6
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
Maximum Ride: School's Out-Forever
Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports

by James Patterson

Once again in this list, I stretched my definition of "school."

While technically not a school as we think of it, there is definitely some sort of school in these novels.

And that "school" is technically a science lab, the one that turned Max and her family into genetically enhanced birds. Which, when you put it like that, sounds like a creepy science-fiction novel that you would never read in a thousand years (which is kind of what I was thinking when I first picked up the first book).

However, the similarity between these kids and birds ends with the wings and abilities to fly. Apart from the wings and some other special abilities, these kids are just normal people, shunned from the rest of the world because of their mutations, and trying to escape the Erasers (who are also special science projects, although these are evil) who want to take them back to the School and use them as lab rats.

Now, I really should stop with the summarizing, because I'm really not good at it. The point is, these novels are fast-paced, interesting, and fun. They're not really your typical young adult fantasy novels, which is exactly why they appealed to me.

Just give 'em a try. It won't hurt anything.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.