Art Quote

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Breaking Dawn post, pictures, plus a question

So, a couple nights ago I went to a party. As did many many people who, like me, are obsessed (or even mildly interested, like some people I know) with the Twilight Saga.

And at midnight yesterday morning I finally got my hands on a copy of Breaking Dawn. And I started reading shortly thereafter.

And so I have been avoiding the blogosphere (or just the whole internet-sphere) since I started reading Breaking Dawn, worried that I would come across spoilers. Because I knew it was inevitable.

I also knew that I wanted to finish the book asap.

But back to the spoiler thing. Maybe I wasn't so much worried about huge, spoiler-filled posts like this one (warning: DO NOT read unless you're done, or have no intention of reading. Trust me on this one), but more worried about small comments that give just enough away to make me nervous.
(picture note: I look so ridiculously happy. and I hate when pictures are taken from the side. especially at 12:30 in the morning. but oh well.)

But, since I finished Breaking Dawn this afternoon, I have no qualms about reading as many spoilers as I can. And now here I am making the exact same type of post I would have wanted to avoid five or six hours ago.

Now that I'm finished, I've made a decision, and after reading this post I realized I'm not the only person who's made this same decision: I'm not going to post an official review of Breaking Dawn. It would be too weird, and I'm pretty sure my one review won't make anyone more willing to read it. As far as I know, everyone will either read it or they won't, and there really isn't much of an inbetween. There are huge, crazy fans of the series, and there are people who sort of don't give a hoot, or who never got past the first 20 pages of Twilight.

So, here's what I'm gonna say: I liked the book. It wasn't nearly as good as the first three, but it was good. Entertaining. Unexpected. Nothing spectacular, but enough happened to keep me on my toes. And I'll agree with pretty much everyone else and say it was kind of far-fetched and ridiculous. But I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I'd give it a four. Point five. Ish.

But now I wanna read the whole series again. I'm not ready for this to be the end...

Speaking of ending, about a year ago another series I love ended this same way... Last year, I may not have gone to any Harry Potter release parties, but I was so conveniently in Wal Mart that Saturday, where there were stacks and stacks of the book displayed, and so I bought one.

And now, a year later, I am stuck bringing up the ultimate book-lovers question...

3 comments:

Anna said...

I read most of the Harry Potter books when I was younger and didn't read YA. So, since I'm that kind of person who can't choose because she likes both so much, I tell people that my favorite series of my childhood was Harry Potter, and my favorite series of my teen years so far is Twilight. haha.

Steph said...

Haha when I read this last night I didn't even realize you linked to my blog. Cheers for that! :)

Steph

Alice said...

'(picture note: I look so ridiculously happy. and I hate when pictures are taken from the side. especially at 12:30 in the morning. but oh well.)'
Aw, I think most people were ridiculously happy when they bought the book. You are not alone!

The Twilight series is my favourite, although when I was younger I did love the Harry Potter series but for me it can't beat Twilight.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.