Art Quote

Friday, May 2, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Other Boleyn Girl
by Philippa Gregory

I went to the movies not too long ago and I saw this movie, and I knew instantly that the book was a must-read. I was just fascinated by the whole story and the whole time period, and also the injustice of it all.

So I got the book, and I started reading. And I made a discovery. My discovery is that the book is much better than the movie. In the movie, every one's feelings are extremely exaggerated, and there are parts that are cut out that would have made me like the movie even more.

But I'm going to just forget about the movie, because I don't want to compare the two.

The book, as a whole, was very very good. It was 661 pages of absolute historical fiction loveliness. The characters were so real, and so easily dragged forward in time to be exactly like a family now, in the twenty-first century. The story is timeless and addictive.

Now, the negative. This book was long. I know that all of my friends would say "Well, Harry Potter is longer, and you read that in a day and a half". But with The Other Boleyn Girl, it took me longer than I would have liked. I found myself reading it just to be at the end, and although I was addicted I also wanted the added benefit of being done finally, so I could move on.

Other than that, I found nothing wrong with it. I won't judge it for historical accuracy, because I know little to nothing factual about the time period. All I know is that this book was addictive and entrancing, and a book that I would definitely recommend, as long as you're up for the challenge.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.