Art Quote

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Untamed by P.C. and Kristen Cast


Title: Untamed (House of Night book 4)

Author: PC and Kristen Cast

Summary:

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you. Just ask Zoey Redbird – she’s become an expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a close group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast. Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead and unMarked. And Neferet has declared war on humans, which Zoey knows in her heart is wrong. But will anyone listen to her? Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened in PC and Kristin Cast's spellbinding fourth House of Night novel.

Rating: 3/5

Good:

The House of Night series is one of my favorite series', simply because they are fast-paced, sarcastic, and extremely exciting. This book was not an exception to that pattern.

Bad:

Okay. Here I go. This is probably the first time that I have a serious complaint about a main character.

I am not usually a person who focuses on the personality of the main characters. There are books that I've read and loved that other people could not even finish because they seriously disliked the main characters (Jessica Darling from Sloppy Firsts and Bella Swan from Twilight being prime examples of my favorite books that I often hear complaints about the main characters). I have never been one of those people.

However, Untamed just may be an exception.

Zoey isn't a bad character... she's realistic and brave, which is great. But my problem with her is her attitude. She has power that other fledglings, and even grown vampyres would KILL for, and yet all she does is complain about her powers and the complications they bring, and about all the guys in her life. I understand the fact that she is a teenager and that entitles her to a bit of angst and complaining, but come ON! Halfway through the book I wanted to just close it and throw it across the room... Zoey pissed me off so much. Instead of doing something about most of her problems, she just complained and complained...

I have a thing for strong female leads. Zoey is not one of them... and I don't mind a little weakness, but she really started to annoy me. She needs to grow up.

I also had another problem with this book... the convient coincidences. I know that events in a book have to lead up to other events, but it seemed just too obvious. Fantasy books should be a little believable... and this book was hardly that. Even if the events are unbelievable, the book should at least have a decent flow of events. But it just seemed like the authors threw Zoey in stupid situations just because they could, or to prove a point about something that's almost irrelevent.

Worst out of the series so far... but I am still hoping for better from Hunted, the fifth book in the series.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I still haven't read any of these books.
Maybe I should..?

Awesome review!

-That Teen-

a flight of minds said...

Great review. And I feel the same about Zoey. I mean, yeah, she could be great. But I find she's so annoying, I couldn't even get through the books. I think the plot's great in this series, but I cannot get past Zoey and her character. I am a person who is dependant on characters. So if the protagonist annoys me, it's unlikely that I'll read much further. I read on someone's blog the perfect word to describe Zoey: Tacky. It just fits perfectly to me. And I hated how she always get saying, Well, hell. There are better swear words out there. Just... no.

I could rant for ages about this series, but I'll stop. Bottom line, I agree with you about Zoey. Sadly, I wasn't able to force myself to read Hunted although I've read the first 3.

Unknown said...

OMG! are u crazy! put yourself in zoeys shoes! she is a teenager with way too much problemas! one of the things i love about this books is that it makes you feel like if you were the main character if i had all those powers and the priest plotting against me i would literaly go to a corner and cry in fetal position! this book is realistic i mean! if you woke up one morning controling fire, water, spirit, air and earth what would u do!¿?
i love P.C cast and i love zoey! you should give the books a chance! didnt you love the first 3!¿? just because u didnt like zoey in her im going to explote state it doesnt mean you should stop reading pls give the series another chance! =)

bea
whyyoushouldread1blogspot.com

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.