Art Quote

Sunday, March 30, 2008

You Know Where to Find Me by Rachel Cohn

You Know Where to Find Me
by Rachel Cohn

This book starts out with the suicide of Miles's cousin, Laura, and steadily progresses into something deeper and more complex. Laura and Miles grew up best friends, but their tight-knit relationship couldn't withstand high school, where Laura was the perfect popular one, and Miles was an overweight reject.

But Laura was the one who wanted to die. After the suicide, Miles's mom goes to London to be with her long-distance boyfriend, her best friend develops an unexpected relationship with Laura's best friend, so Miles is left alone and missing Laura. She turns to drugs to try to get away from her problems, and tries to fill the void that Laura left behind.

This was a very short but powerful book about love, loss, and family. But while that sentence sounds so typical of an average teen novel, You Know Where to Find Me is anything but typical or average. Miles is a strong but misguided main character, and she's so used to being around Laura that it takes her awhile to adapt to being alone. I love this book simply because it gave me insight to a world that I've never been part of, and it showed a very realistic struggle from a very realistic girl's point of view. Rachel Cohn definitely did not disappoint in her latest novel, and I look forward to reading more by her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post!
I know of a similar blog at www.mrsmagooreads.blogspot.com

the story siren said...

i will have to pick up a copy of this! great review!

Liv said...

I have this book checked out from the library right now. I can't wait to read it!

Rachael Stein said...

i really raelly really times a million want to read this book. seriously. i am so hooked

Anna said...

This book is sitting on my bokshelf and I now CANNOT wait to read it!

hope.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.