Art Quote

Friday, March 21, 2008

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson


Fever 1793
by Laurie Halse Anderson


This book was a real page-turner from the very beginning. It starts out at the beginning of the yellow fever epidemic... Matilda is just a normal girl at that point. She helps her mother and grandfather out at their coffeeshop, she has friends, and she even has a crush. But all of this changes when the fever starts.


This book was basically a story of one girl's fight for survival in hard times. There are times when she has help, there are times when she is alone... but the point is, she's a fighter. She gets through it, and in the end she's a better person.


So... what else is new? That was my only problem with this book... it had a strange sense of predictability to it. If you couldn't guess exactly what was going to happen, you could at least guess the basic ideas. Another problem I had was that it was just the one story: yellow fever. There were no subplots or anything to keep the story going, which kind of bothered me. There were tiny things, sure, but not much. I didn't feel like I got to know the characters that well. I know their basic traits, but I can't help but feel like something is missing.


Still, in the end it was a fairly enjoyable read. However, if you're looking for a Laurie Halse Anderson book to read, I would recommend Speak or Twisted.

1 comments:

jellycakes999 said...

i dont find that a problem. It was terrific, and fun to read.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.