Art Quote

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti


The Fortunes of Indigo Skye
by Deb Caletti

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye is a book about an average girl who suddenly gets hold of a large amount of money... 2.5 million dollars, to be exact. It's about her struggle to get used to the change, and the way the money has the ability to change her in ways that she never could have guessed.

I was very fortunate to get my hands on an ARC the latest novel from the fabulous Deb Caletti, and let's just say that I'm glad I did. This book kept me hooked from the very first page. The main character, Indigo Skye, is such an intriguing and interesting protagonist, and the whole novel as a whole was sarcastic and funny. At the same time, it was believeable for the most part, which is something that I enjoy most while reading. Although, something that bothered me slightly was the way the rich characters were portrayed towards the end. I found myself wishing that there was some balance between snobby rich people and halfway decent rich people, but there was no such balance. It seemed like they were projected as all being the same, which I can't help but wonder if all rich people are like that. (However, I am fairly limited in my experience with the fabulously wealthy, so I can't really say that I know for sure how they act. I can only say that it seemed kind of stereotypical to show that all the rich people that Indigo meets are obnoxious snobs.)

Still, that slight annoyance doesn't even make me think less of the book. The book as a whole was fantastic. It has all the characteristics of a good teen novel, and I'm sure that teen readers everywhere will enjoy the book as much as I did.

Te amo,
Chelsie

3 comments:

Joy said...

I'm sorry, Chelsie, but I had to do the same with this books links. Come back to relink! :)

Anonymous said...

The only book I've read by Caletti was The Nature of Jade and I wasn't overly impressed. It was just lacking...something. I'll have to give her another try though.

Mollie

Anonymous said...

I loved The Nature of Jade, and this one definitely sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.