Art Quote

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Title: The Looking Glass Wars

Author: Frank Beddor

Summary:

The Myth: Alice was an ordinary girl who stepped through the looking glass and entered a fairy-tale world invented by Lewis Carroll in his famous storybook. The Truth: Wonderland is real. Alyss Heart is the heir to the throne, until her murderous aunt Redd steals the crown and kills Alyss’ parents. To escape Redd, Alyss and her bodyguard, Hatter Madigan, must flee to our world through the Pool of Tears. But in the pool Alyss and Hatter are separated. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Yet he gets the story all wrong. Hatter Madigan knows the truth only too well, and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

Rating: 3.75/5

Good:

I have seen the Alice in Wonderland movie, but have not read any of the books or anything else, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. However, I thought this book was actually pretty decent. I liked the plot and the action, and there were even some humorous bits. I was also extremely satisfied with the ending. Somehow, Frank Beddor managed to end this book with some closure, but he left enough thoughts open to make me curious and want to read the sequel. To which I say, well done.

Bad:

There were some parts that seemed to go too fast for me. The action at the end sort of snuck up a bit on me, coming a bit too quickly. But other than that, the reason I give it a 3.75 rating is simply because it didn't keep me on the edge of the seat like I would hope a book full of action like this would. Also, it's not what I typically read, so I found it to be a little strange. But honestly, it wasn't too terrible, and I'll definitely read the sequel, Seeing Redd.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.