Art Quote

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone- Review


Title: I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone

Author: Stephanie Kuehnert

Summary:

A raw, edgy, emotional novel about growing up punk and living to tell.

The Clash. Social Distortion. Dead Kennedys. Patti Smith. The Ramones.

Punk rock is in Emily Black's blood. Her mother, Louisa, hit the road to follow the incendiary music scene when Emily was four months old and never came back. Now Emily's all grown up with a punk band of her own, determined to find the tune that will bring her mother home. Because if Louisa really is following the music, shouldn't it lead her right back to Emily?

Rating: 4.9999/5

Good:
This book was a real page-turner... after it got past the initial introductory chapter, I was hooked. It was so open and honest and real... there was no sugar-coating, and there was no corny statements or making things seem like they will get better when it's so obvious that it won't. Everything in this book is realistic, and I absolutely love that. The story was interesting, and Emily Black as a character was so interesting and different from anyone I've ever read about.

Bad:
Okay, the first chapter... it bothered me. Starting with the beginning, it didn't jump right into the story... it was an introduction of what happened before. I love learning the backstory, in fact I prefer it, but I've never been a huge fan of detailed descriptions right in the beginning. I suppose this is my own personal preference, but it still bothered me (which is why the book didn't get a perfect 5). However, I must say, the first chapter could have been so much worse... the introduction fit this book better than it would fit another kind of book. So it really isn't a huge problem... just one tiny detail that I could forget about easily as the book progressed.

5 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice review. I LOVED the book too. And it's cool you're able to say what you didn't like...it's all personal opinion, so it's quite alright! Glad you started to love the book as it went on though. :)

-Lauren

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Thanks for telling it like you felt it, Chelsie. I really appreciate your honesty. And thanks for the 4.999 :)I'm glad that other than the first chapter you really enjoyed the book!

Em said...

I really really need to read this book. Maybe I'll take it to the beach with me later this month. :)

Melissa Walker said...

This is in my pile and rising to the top!

Also, hilarious that we both thought the same thing about the first line of "Take a Bow"--awesome.

Heather said...

I agree about it being a little difficult in the first chapter to really get into it, but at the same time it was still written really well, so I pushed on and after a few pages was hooked. Essentially it was only the first two pages I didn't like quite as much as the rest of the book.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.