Art Quote

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Jump the Cracks by Stacy DeKeyser

Title: Jump the Cracks

Author: Stacy DeKeyser

Summary:

What would you do?

As far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse not to be decent...Especially when you're responsible for a kid. It just figures that fifteen-year old Victoria's dad fails once again to be at the train station like he's promised. Fuming, Victoria watches as a teen mom stashes her bruised little boy in the train's bathroom. When the mom gets off the train alone, Victoria decides she has had it with all the poor excuses who call them selves parents. Making a split-second decision, Victoria boards the next train out of town—taking the little boy with her.

No, really, what would you do? Victoria's staying on the run until everyone responsible starts keeping their promises. This kid's not falling through the cracks. Not on her watch.

Rating: 4.5/5

Good:
This book started out in a very interesting way. Within fifteen pages, an ordinary girl with a screwy home life is forced to look a problem in the eye and make a choice whether or not she should do something about it. Of course, she decides to do something.

I finished this book in less than a day, and I was completely intrigued. From the very beginning, Stacy DeKeyser created a main character that I could easily sympathize with. Victoria could easily be just like me or any one of my friends. She is a weak teenager, but she is unbelievably strong where it counts. When it comes time for her to try to save an innocent child from something she knows is wrong, she does what she thinks is right.

This story is completely indescribable. It portrays such a strong message about love and acceptance, except it's done in a completely unexpected way.

Bad:
This is really hard for me to think of something bad about this book... The whole thing was mesmerizing and kept me interested from beginning to end. The writing was nothing spectacular, but it was definitely made up for by an amazing story line.

5 comments:

Liv said...

I have this book on my list at Shelfari but hadn't heard anything about it until now. It sounds really good! Thanks for a great review; I'm going to have to pick it up soon!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check this book out, it sounds really good.

Kayla (Midnight Twilight)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Great review! :0)
I've seen the book and been interested, but I don't believe I've read a review until now. Definitely need to get the book. :)

Lauren

❀ Stacy DeKeyser said...

Thanks for the review, Chelsie, and I'm glad you liked the book!
Say hi to Wisconsin for me!
Stacy

paperxxflowers said...

Then you already got an extra entry without having to tell me I'm on your blogroll. lol

I went through the list earlier today when I posted that and already added extra entries to the people who already had me on their blogroll.

Thanks again!

I've got some new features coming soon... :]

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.