Art Quote

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Title: Audrey, Wait!

Author: Robin Benway

Summary:

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!,” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can’t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

Rating: 5/5

Good:
This book was absolutely hilarious. My favorite character, Audrey's dad, cracked me up constantly, as did all the rest of them. Robin Benway really has a way with words, and also with music! I wrote down over forty songs that were directly mentioned in the book, and there were at least a dozen more song or band references that weren't obvious. The way this book was written was also extremely addictive and mesmerizing. I can honestly say that there is too much to say about this book... I filled up about eleven pages in my Reading Log, all with quotes and exclamation points. The book was that good.

Bad:
There was only one thing I hated about this book. And that was the first and last chapter. I realize that the book was told by Audrey looking back on her experience, but in the beginning it was extremely obvious, then for the rest it was sort of like a normal novel in first person, and then at the end it went back to being obvious that she was just telling a story. The tone changed, which I hated, because I wasn't expecting an ending like that. Not for this book.

However, I'm willing to overlook that, just because everything between the first and last chapters was pure genius.

4 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

I really need to read this one--can't wait!

Elainareads said...

Great review! I really really liked this book.

=D

Alea said...

I'm reading this right now and I LOVE IT! It's hilarious! Audrey's cat makes me laugh every single time it's mentioned. I've seen some weird space issues (spaces between the letters of the words) which is strange. I can't wait to finish it. The cover is amazing too.

Ashley said...

this book sounds good. good review! now i wanna read it! :)

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.