Art Quote

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell


Song of the Sparrow
by Lisa Ann Sandell


This tale, written entirely in verse, is about Elaine of Ascolat, "The Lady of Shallot". After her mother's death, she and her brothers go to live with her father. She grew up the only girl in a sea of men, and so she forgets the proper way to act, and instead runs wild with the other boys. She makes good friends with some of them, and she even falls in love with the handsome Lancelot. But it isn't too long before there is a war with the Saxons, and somehow Elaine finds herself in a mess she never could have imagined.

I finished this book very quickly, partly because it was in verse and partly because I was hooked. Elaine is a likeable and believeable character, and the book had a perfect mixture of romance, friendship, and action. As far as the writing goes, it was absolutely breathtaking. This is definitely a book that I would recommend to anyone looking for something thrilling and engaging.

6 comments:

Liv said...

I have been thinking about reading this book, but I'm a little scared because I've never read a book in verse before. I'll have to check it out now. Nice review!

Ink Mage said...

I can't wait to read this! It's at my library, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I want to hear a story from Elaine's POV.

Anna said...

This looks good. I've been looking for more verse novels, too, so I'll definetly check this one out. [:

hope.

Anonymous said...

I read this a while back; it really is a good book. :)

Steph said...

I love the title and the cover. Adding to my wishlist :)

And since I'm here.. wanna do a blog link exchange? :)

Heather said...

Finally! I've been searching for a good review of this book forever! Okay, not really forever...but a while. Thanks.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.