Art Quote

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Jars of Glass by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler


Title: Jars of Glass

Author: Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler

Summary:

Teenage sisters Chloe and Shana recall fondly the days when their mother wove stories about kingdoms under the sea. Now that Mom is “away,” Chloe does not allow herself to believe in fairy tales. She is too busy caring for her adopted brother, Micah, because Dad has become withdrawn. Shana copes by escaping every night under the cover of Goth garb. The day the family visits Mom for the first time is the day Chloe learns why Shana will never allow their mother to return. It is up to the sisters to pull together and form a new definition of family.

Rating: 3/5

Review:

I have read the previous books by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler, and I have really enjoyed them. However, I have to say that Jars of Glass was a bit of a let down.

I can't really say there was anything wrong with it; it wasn't a bad book. But it just wasn't that great, either. I read it last month, and the reason I didn't write a review sooner is because I completely forgot that I read it. It was a book to read, to get me from one book to another, but it didn't grab me or pull me in. I read it fine enough, but there are no distinguishing characteristics that I remember about it...

It had everything a good book should have: good, interesting characters; a plot line that moves and keeps the reader interested; character development; a beginning, middle and end; etc. And while I read it there was nothing wrong with it. All I can say, though, is that it wasn't memorable, although there definitely were some memorable images (which are basically my whole memory of the book). Would I recommend it? Not particularly. Would I tell you not to read it? No. Go right ahead and read it... just don't expect me to be able to remember it well enough to discuss it with you when you're done.

1 comments:

Anna said...

I've never read anything by the authors, so maybe I'll be wowed? lol.

I put it on hold at the library! (And I really have no idea why I just typed that, when I just told you that less than an hour ago. lol.)

(They should make a song called I'm So Blonde - like that I'm So Hood song. It would so be my theme song. lol :p)

hope.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.