Art Quote

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bloom by Elizabeth Scott

Title: Bloom

Author: Elizabeth Scott

Summary:

There's a difference between falling and letting go.

Lauren has a good life: decent grades, great friends, and a boyfriend every girl lusts after. So why is she so unhappy?

It takes the arrival of Evan Kirkland for Lauren to figure out the answer: She's been holding back. She's been denying herself a bunch of things (like sex) because staying with her loyal and gorgeous boyfriend, Dave, is the "right" thing to do. After all, who would give up the perfect boyfriend?

But as Dave starts talking more and more about their life together, planning a future Lauren simply can't see herself in -- and as Lauren's craving for Evan, and moreover, who she is with Evan becomes all the more fierce -- Lauren realizes she needs to make a choice...before one is made for her.

Rating: 4.5/5

Review:

This is my very first Elizabeth Scott book. I have heard fantastic things about all of her novels, and I was definitely not let down by her debut novel.

There was something about Bloom that just hooked me. Part of it, I think, was the fact that it reminded me strongly of Sweethearts by Sara Zarr, which I am a huge huge huge huge fan of. While Evan was no Cameron, I still felt that same air of mystery about him, which was enough to make me fall in love. And while I can't relate to the character of Lauren (I have never been in a situation where I was dating somebody TOO perfect) I still could sympathize for her. She was a decent heroine, and while she did things I didn't agree with, she always presented a good argument for doing what she did.

As far as the writing, it was amazing. The writing flowed easily, and it was a very very easy book to read because of that. One chapter flowed into another, and I never felt that the writing was choppy or unorganized. It was very well written.

So overall, it was a good first novel. It wasn't something to die over, simply because I couldn't throw my whole heart into it and really FEEL for anything that was happening, but I am still glad that I bought it, and I am also really looking forward to reading Perfect You, which I have on my shelf as well.

10 comments:

stargirlreads said...

cant wait to read this one

Ashley said...

I liked this, but found it predictable.

Anonymous said...

I really need a YA debut novel for one of my challenges and this one does sound pretty good.

Teen Troves said...

If you want an Elizabeth Scott book that'll REALLY make you FEEL...check out Living Dead Girl.

It is her best to date!

-Mollie
http://teentroves.com/blog

Kd said...

I want to read this relly bad too! Good review! :D

Katie

Melissa Walker said...

I loved the chemistry in BLOOM--I seriously had the hots for Evan.

Em said...

Bloom made Elizabeth Scott a must-read author in my book. It did remind me a lot of Sara Zarr...though I'm glad that Elizabeth Scott writes faster. :)

Amy said...

you're going to love perfect you, it's one of my faves-it's so relatable and funny.
-Amy

Sadako said...

Have heard really really good things about Elizabeth Scott so will check it out.

Anna Katherine Oates said...

bloom as been my favorite teen novel for some time now. I love the book and become Lauren every time I read it.
Great reveiw.

About Me

My photo
Obsessive Blogger. Obsessive Reader.